The Troyan Monastery “Assumption of the Holy Mary” is a stauropygial monastery of the Bulgarian Orthodox Church, founded no later than the end of the 16th century. It is recognized as a cultural monument.
The monastery, which is the third largest in Bulgaria, is picturesquely located on the banks of the Cherni Osam river in the village of Oreshak, 10 km from Troyan.
It was founded around 1600, possibly even before that. The legend speaks of monks from Mount Athos who went to Wallachia with the saint of the monastery – the miraculous icon of the Virgin Troeruchitsa, which is a copy of the old miraculous icon in the Hilendar monastery (XIV century). The Troyan monastery grew rapidly, but not long after, during the time of Abbot Kalistrius from Lovech, the monastery was destroyed by a Turkish band.
In the first half of the 18th century, the monastery grew again and prospered economically. During this time, a cell school also began to function in it.
At the beginning of the 19th century, the monastery was already quite large. The residential buildings that surrounded the yard are two-storeyed and even three-storeyed – something extremely rare for the era.
The New Congregational Church was built by the famous Renaissance builder Constantine of Peshtera.
It was consecrated on August 6, 1835 by Metropolitan Hilarion Tarnovski in honor of the Assumption of the Blessed Holy Mary. In 1847-1848, it was decorated with frescoes by Zachary Zograf, who left portraits of the founder and his self-portrait on the northern inner wall of the church, as well as the composition Wheel of Life on the northern outer wall.
Vasil Levski founded a private revolutionary committee here.
Patriarch Maxim I was buried in the church “St. Mary” of the monastery complex.
Metal – copper 999/1000, patina
Quality – matt
Weight – 20 gr
Diameter – 40 mm
Obverse – Troyan monastery
Author Plamen Chernev, sculptor at Bulgarian Mint
Reverse – Author`s image of the miraculous icon of Saint Mary (Troeruchica)
Capsule and luxury cardboard packaging