Holy Monastery of the Transfiguration of the Saviour was founded during the time of the Second Bulgarian State in the 13th – 14th centuries. His origin is associated with the personality of the second wife of the Bulgarian Tsar Ivan-Alexander – Sara and their son Tsar Ivan Shishman, who donated a lot of funds for its reconstruction. The monastery also plays an important role in the spiritual life of the Bulgarian capital Tarnovgrad.
The main buildings were erected in the first half of the 19th century by Kolyo Ficheto.
The frescoes in the church were made in 1849-1851 from Zahariy Zograf who was a prominent representative of the school of painting in Samokov. The icon “Transfiguration of the Lord” which is situated in the church bears his autograph. The remarkable scene “Wheel of Life” is inscribed on the outer south altar wall. It is treating the natural development of human life in a religio-philosophical aspect.
Father Matei Preobrazhenski who is Vasil Levski’s like-minded became a monk in the monastery. The Deacon himself took refuge in the monastery more than once. Holy Monastery of the Transfiguration of the Saviour played an important role in the struggle of the Bulgarian people for spiritual and national independence.
Metal – copper 999/1000, patina
Quality – matt
Weight – 20 gr
Diameter – 40 mm
Obverse – Holy Monastery of the Transfiguration of the Saviour
Author Plamen Chernev, sculptor at Bulgarian Mint
Reverse – Author`s replica of the scene “The wheel of life” by Zachary Zograf
Capsule and luxury cardboard packaging